The N.S.S. is part of the Development of Youth Affairs and Sports under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. The objective of this scheme is personality development of students through service to the community by awakening their social consciousness. There are 2 units with hundred students and they are given training and opportunities to work with and among village people. It provides them with opportunities:-
- To discover and develop their hidden talents.
- To gain skills in democratic leadership
- To engage themselves in creative and constructive social work.
- To participate in intercollegiate, inter-university and inter-state camps.
- To become paid social workers.
A student volunteer who has completed 240 hours of work and attended a special camp during the course of two years is eligible for N.S.S. certificate from the university. This certificate enables a weightage for higher studies. It also an additional qualification for appointment in public services.
- NSS Unit of Alphonsa College has awarded with Certificate of Appreciation in the year 2017-2018.
- Archana Prakash, NSS Volunteer has won Best NSS Volunteer Award from M.G University, Kottayam in the year 2017-2018.
- Sr. Jansamma Thomas awarded with Best Principal Award from NSS, M.G University Kottayam in the year 2014-15.
- Sr.Minimol Mathew, NSS Programme Officer has won M.G University Best NSS Programme Officer Award in the year 2014-2015.
- Kum Aiswarya Lakshmi won the best NSS Volunteers Indhira Gandhi National award in the year 2014-2015.
- Manju Jose, NSS Programme Officer has won M.G University Best NSS Progamme Officer Award in the year 2012-2013.
- Sandra Liz Sebastian, NSS Volunteer has won Best NSS Volunteer Award from M.G University, Kottayam in the year 2012-2013.
N.S.S Staff Coordinators:
Dr. Simimole Sebastian, Dept. of Zoology
Sr. Jaimy, Dept. of English
NSS Annual Reports
NSS Annual Report 2017-18
NSS Annual Report 2016-17
NSS Annual Report 2015-16
NSS Annual Report 2014-15
NSS Annual Report 2013-14
NSS Activities at a Glance